General Welfare & Support Services

Energy & Water Hardship Assistance


Energy & Water Hardship Assistance Logo
Add to favourites

About Us

If you are having trouble paying your electricity, gas or water account, the first thing you should do is talk to the utility company about a payment plan or about other available options such as participation in their hardship program. If you can not reach a realistic agreement with your utility, the ACAT may be able to assist you to avoid disconnection.

You can start an ACAT hardship assistance application by ringing 6207 7740 and talking to staff. Staff will help you complete an application. ACAT staff may also order the utility not to disconnect your supply until your application has been looked at.

ACAT members will meet with you to discuss options for continuing your supply and making appropriate payments. If you are already disconnected from supply, ACAT may order the utility to reconnect supply within 24 hours.

For further brief information about hardship assistance applications, download a pamphlet about Hardship Assistance here.

For more detailed information about hardship assistance applications and about Tribunal procedures telephone the ACAT office.

Quick Facts About The Region

ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal is located in the suburbs of Canberra Central and City, the council of Canberra and the federal electorate of Canberra.