Outdoor Recreation and Leisure
The Fitability tandem cycling program offers tandem cycling opportunities principally to vision impaired people (both men and women) in the Canberra region, as well as to those with other disabilities who would otherwise be unable to cycle.
Even if you have never ridden a bike before, or are not able to ride confidently because of vision loss or another disability, you can try out riding stoker on a tandem.
An experienced pilot steers the bike and controls the gears and braking.
We will arrange an easy first ride with you on quiet streets or cycle paths. We can answer all of your questions and practice basic tandem cycling skills.
If you enjoy your first ride you can talk with your pilot about the kinds of rides available and how you would like to join in.
If you need assistance to get to our activities we can often organise for a pilots to pick you up on the way and bring you home.
Tandem riders regularly join the following kinds of rides, depending on the interests and abilities of each cyclist:
• Saturday or Sunday morning Pedal Power social rides.
• FIT Friday morning training rides.
• Sunday ”Wanderers” road rides with Pedal Power.
• Individual rides where stokers and pilots can agree on a time and distance for their ride.
• involvement in triathlons: cycling, swimming and running (guiding is available).
• Participation in cycling competition events around the ACT, such as the Tour de Femme (women), ACT Veterans Cycling Club and Vikings Cycling Club (tandem races and time trials).
• Joining in with recreational cycling events in Canberra such as the Big Canberra Bike Ride, Rotary Spring Cycle and Fitz’s Challenge.
• The Hartley Lifecare Ability Cycle Challenge – a three day ride from Canberra to Charlottes Pass and return. Our tandem team joins with over 200 other cyclists to raise funds for Canberrans living with complex disabilities.
Fitability is part of Pedal Power ACT.
Fitability is managed by a committee of volunteers from FIT (Females in Training) and Pedal Power. As a program of Pedal Power, this committee reports to the Pedal Power executive committee.
Quick Facts About The Region
Contact Fitability Tandem Cycling Program
Similar Providers Nearby
Wheelchair Access No
Disabled access Parking, Wheelchair access
Accessible By Anyone
Access Fee No fee
Age Ranges All ages
Other Requirements people with a disability
Yes. Fitability relies on the involvement of volunteers for all its activities. Our pilots volunteer their time to ride with stokers. Both pilots and stokers volunteer their organisational abilities to the running of the program.
Cycling, Disability, Vision Impairment